Yesterday Rand, Aunt MD and I strolled down to the farmers’ market and got some goodies, including a huge bag of Kale for $2.
So, last night we made some of these kale chips. They were YUMMY! Even Wes liked them…and has now decided that he loves kale.
(photos: Food Network)
You are welcome to stick to the recipe, but here’s what we did (after looking at several recipes):
- We omitted the garlic and lemon
- Washed the kale and made sure it was as dry as possible.
- Rip off the spine so you just have the leaves. Keep the pieces on the larger side because they shrink.
- Put them on a baking sheet (or several sheets) and toss with a little bit of olive oil (1-2 tablespoons)
- Make sure the kale is not on top of other kale otherwise it will steam cook instead of roast/crisp up
- Put in a 400-425 degree oven for 10-15 min. This step depends on your oven. Keep checking because it cooks really fast!!! Some of the larger pieces I was able to flip over.
- When the kale is crispy, take out and sprinkle with coarse kosher salt. (I read in one recipe it helped to salt AFTER it cooked.
- Put in a bowl and munch on while you cook dinner!